How To: Treat Sunburn Naturally, PLUS 2 After Sun Spray Recipes
Aloe Vera Gel Base
Now there is a quick and easy way to make your own custom serum tailored to your skin's unique needs.
If you are at all like me, you love being outdoors in the elements and sun. I confess I do love the glow of a tan on my olive skin. But I will get burnt if I am not careful, especially now that I am older. I have never used traditional sunscreens; I always felt more sunburnt with them than without.
When I would go to the beach or surfing, and I knew I would be out for hours, I would instead apply zinc to areas I knew burned more efficiently. I found nothing worked entirely as well as zinc (and it turns out it's way healthier for you to use as well- so win-win!).
Gradually getting exposed to the sun every day is healthy for us, and nature provides us with Vitamin D that our bodies need. Of course, we all try to be careful when out in the sun, but sometimes we end up with what can end up being a painful sunburn. But what can you do to soothe naturally and restore your burnt skin?
7 Safe and Effective Home Remedies
soothe and relieve sunburnt skin
- Aloe Vera: This has always been my go-to remedy to revitalize my sunburnt skin. It turns out it is also the most common natural remedy for burnt areas. I prefer to grow my own aloe vera plant to be super fresh; a bonus is super easy to maintain.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Get a spray bottle and fill it with ACV, keep it in the fridge, and when you get burnt, spray it onto the burnt area.
- Potato Peels: Provide moisture and carry natural anti-bacterial properties that aid in regeneration.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Relieves sunburn and can also prevent peeling.
- Yogurt: Spread full-fat, plain, unsweetened yogurt on the burnt area and leave it on there until it warms, then rinses off. It will help your skin to cool and replenish itself.
- Tea: The tannins in the tea will help to soothe the burn and heal the skin.
1) make a teapot of tea, soak a piece of cloth in it, and then apply it to the sunburnt area.
2) Make a 'tea' bath and soak in it.
- Cucumber: You can apply thin slices or a puree of cold cucumbers directly to the affected area.
Before/After Sun Spray Recipes:#1 This recipe is courtesy of Frugally Sustainable
Ingredients: *Use organic whenever possible
- 2 Fl. oz. (60 ml) aloe vera juice or gel
- 1 Fl. oz. (30 ml) Lavender hydrosol (flower water)
- 1 Fl. oz. (30 ml) peppermint hydrosol (flower water)
- 0.25 Fl. oz. (7.5 ml) vegetable glycerin
- 15 Drops Lavender essential oils
- 5 Drops Carrot seed essential oils
- 2-3 Drops Peppermint essential oils, optional
- 10 Drops Non-GMO vitamin E oil, optional
- Add all ingredients to a glass mason jar.
- Shake the jar vigorously to mix.
- Pour mixture into a 4-ounce mister bottle.
- Label bottle with name, contents, and date
- Shelf-stable for 1-2 years, depending on the quality of raw materials used.
Storage Tips Keep on the shelf away from heat and direct sunlight. For an instant cooling effect upon the skin, store in the refrigerator.#2 This recipe is courtesy of Organic For Green Livings. This botanical beauty oil boosts the effectiveness of sunscreen and helps with skin dehydration. You can use oil on your face, body, and hair. These plants supply our skin with phytochemicals that support our natural sun protection mechanisms and the skin's production of melanin.
- 1/2 cup Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vitamin E
- 7 drops beta-carotene
Storage Tips: You can store this for up to 12 months in a tightly closed container.
Before sun exposure, while at the pool or beach and once at home, apply Organic Unfiltered Coconut Oil to your skin. The vitamins and minerals in coconut oil will keep your skin moisturized. As always, we love your comments, and if you like this article, please use the sharing buttons to show this article to your friends and followers.
About the Author
Article Contributed by Danielle Winters
Organic Natural Beauty Directory Founder
Thank you to Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.org for this information.
About Skin Perfection
We're here to help you create clean beauty products and get you looking younger. We've put together our best tips for making your own skincare products, finding the best anti-aging ingredients, plus in-depth videos and guides.
Learn more about our team here.Getting Started and Guides
Make sure to start with the proper setup. Learn how to create your DIY skincare the right way. It'll make your life so much easier. Here's how:
- How to Sanitize your Work Area
- How to Add a Serum Booster
- How to Add a Preservative
- Serum Booster Instructions and Chart
We've used all of the best peptides out there. Some of them we love. Others we didn't. Learn from our experience on which anti-aging peptides work.
Need a ready-made solution? Check out our best-selling anti-aging products, including serums and moisturizers. We've got you.