How To: Treat Sunburn Naturally, PLUS 2 After Sun Spray Recipes
7 Safe and Effective Home Remedies For Sunburn
If you are like me, you love being outdoors in the elements and sun. I confess I love the tan's glow on my olive skin. But I will get burnt if I am not careful, especially now that I am older. I have never used traditional sunscreens; I always felt more sunburnt with them than without.
When I would go to the beach or surf, and I knew I would be out for hours, I would instead apply zinc to areas I knew burned more efficiently. I found nothing worked as well as zinc (and it turns out it's way healthier for you to use as well - so win-win!).
Gradual exposure to the sun is healthy for us, since nature provides us with the Vitamin D that our bodies need. Of course, we all try to be careful when out in the sun, but sometimes we end up with what can end up being a painful sunburn. But what can you do to naturally soothe and restore your burnt skin?
Soothe and relieve sunburnt skin
- Aloe Vera: This has always been my go-to remedy to revitalize my sunburnt skin. It is also the most common natural remedy for burnt areas. I prefer to grow my aloe vera plants. In fact, a bonus is that they are easy to maintain.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Get a spray bottle and fill it with ACV, keep it in the fridge, and when you get burnt, spray it onto the burnt area.
- Potato Peels: Both privides moisture and carries natural anti-bacterial properties that aid regeneration.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Relieves sunburn and can also prevent peeling.
- Yogurt: Spread full-fat, plain, unsweetened yogurt on the burnt area and leave it on until it warms, then rinse off. It will help your skin to both cool and replenish itself.
- Tea: The tannins in the tea will help to soothe the burn and heal the skin. You have two options here: 1) Make a teapot of tea, soak a piece of cloth in it, and then apply it to the sunburnt area. 2) Make a 'tea' bath and soak in it.
- Cucumber: You can apply thin slices or a puree of cold cucumbers directly to the affected area.
Before/After Sun Spray Recipes:
#1 This recipe is courtesy of Frugally Sustainable
Ingredients: *Use organic whenever possible
- 2 oz. (60 ml) aloe vera juice or gel
- 1 oz. (30 ml) Lavender hydrosol (flower water)
- 1 oz. (30 ml) peppermint hydrosol (flower water)
- 0.25 oz. (7.5 ml) vegetable glycerin
- 15 drops Lavender essential oils
- 5 drops Carrot seed essential oils
- 2-3 drops Peppermint essential oils, optional
- 10 drops Non-GMO vitamin E oil, optional
- Add all ingredients to a glass mason jar.
- Then, shake the jar vigorously to mix.
- Pour mixture into a 4-ounce mister bottle.
- Finally, label bottle with name, contents, and date.
- Shelf-stable for 1-2 years, depending on the raw materials' quality.
Use: Mist the body as often as desired, whenever poolside, at the beach, or anytime outdoors, to keep your skin protected and hydrated. After showering, spray liberally on sunburned skin and reapply as often as needed for comfort. SAFE for the whole family.
Storage Tips: Keep on the shelf away from heat and direct sunlight. For an instant cooling effect on the skin, store in the refrigerator. This recipe is courtesy of Organic For Green Livings. This botanical beauty oil boosts the effectiveness of sunscreen and helps with skin dehydration. You can use oil on your face, body, and hair. These plants supply our skin with phytochemicals that support our natural sun protection mechanisms and the skin's production of melanin.
- 1/2 c. Sesame Oil
- 1/2 c. Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp. Vitamin E
- 7 drops beta-carotene
- Combine all oils in a glass bottle and shake well.
- Apply a thick, generous amount as needed.
Storage Tips: You can store this up to 12 months in a tightly closed container.
Before sun exposure, at the pool or beach, and once at home, apply Organic Unfiltered Coconut Oil to your skin. The vitamins and minerals in coconut oil will keep your skin moisturized.
As always, we love your comments, and if you like this article, please use the sharing buttons to show this article to your friends and followers!
About the Author
Article Contributed by Danielle Winters
Organic Natural Beauty Directory Founder
Thank you to Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.org for this information.
About Skin Perfection
We're here to help you create clean beauty products and get you looking younger. We've put together our best tips for making skincare products, finding the best anti-aging ingredients, and in-depth videos and guides.
Learn more about our team here.
Getting Started and Guides
Make sure to start with the proper setup. Learn how to create your DIY skincare the right way. It'll make your life so much easier. Here's how:
- How to Sanitize Your Work Area
- How to Add a Serum Booster
- How to Add a Preservative
- Serum Booster Instructions and Chart
The Best Peptides
We've used all of the best peptides out there. Some of them we love. Others we didn't. Learn from our experience on which anti-aging peptides work.
Need a ready-made solution? Check out our best-selling anti-aging products, including serums and moisturizers. We've got you.