5 DIY Natural Beauty Recipes That Use Coffee
Coffee grounds are full of antioxidants. These antioxidants make them an extremely beneficial and affordable beauty ingredient that can protect your skin from free radicals. Free radicals can wreak havoc and cause harm to our precious cells.
Finely ground coffee functions as a gentle exfoliator that smooths away dry, dead skin cells while supporting improved circulation to the skin and temporarily reducing the dimpled skin appearance that may result from cellulite. Plus, coffee can help lessen cellulite's appearance as caffeine helps remove excess water from our tissue by dilating our blood vessels.
The caffeine in coffee grounds constricts blood vessels, temporarily causing the skin to appear tighter, firmer, and smoother. It gives energy to the skin. Using coffee grounds topically can equal reduced puffiness and swelling.
I am a huge coffee lover. I love the smell of anything coffee, fresh-brewed, whole beans, and freshly ground coffee, so why wouldn't I use it on my face and body?
5 DIY Recipes That Use Coffee
Coffee Under-Eye Cream RecipeIngredients:
- 1/2 oz coffee-infused olive oil (mix 3 Tbsp of ground coffee into 4oz olive oil, heat, and then strain).
- 25 oz jojoba oil
- 25 oz rosehip seed oil
- 75 oz shea butter
- 75 oz
- cocoa butter
- 1/2 ml lavender essential oil
- 1/2 ml chamomile essential oil
- Five drops (non-GMO) vitamin E
- Using a digital kitchen scale, weigh out the shea and cocoa butter in a glass Pyrex measuring cup.
- Heat the two ingredients in the microwave until melted.
- Next, weigh out the coffee-infused olive oil, rosehip seed oil, and jojoba oil and stir them into the melted butter.
- Now measure out and add each essential oil and mix it with the other ingredients.
- Add in your vitamin E and pour it into your container(s) of choice.
Coffee Body Wrap RecipeIngredients:
- 1/2 cup of warm used coffee grounds
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil
- Roll of plastic wrap
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the coffee grounds with olive oil.
- When combined, heat the mixture via the stove or the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Sit in your bathtub, apply the warm coffee mixture to all the areas you would like to treat & immediately cover with plastic wrap.
- Start from your legs and move upwards towards your heart and then from your arms inwards to your heart.
- Leave the coffee body wrap on for about 20-30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap, trying to catch as much of the coffee mix as possible.
- Dispose of your used plastic wrap and take a quick warm shower to rinse off any remaining coffee mix. Next, dab your skin with a towel and apply your favorite natural skin moisturizer.
Tip: This treatment can be done twice weekly for super silky skin.
Coffee Lip Balm RecipeIngredients:
- One oz. of coffee-infused olive oil (mix 3 Tbsp of ground coffee into 4oz olive oil, heat, and then strain)
- 5 oz. Shea Butter
- 5 oz. Cocoa Butter
- 25 oz. Beeswax
- Ten drops of clove essential oil
- 1/2 ml of Flavor Oil (we recommend using Kahlua flavor)
- 1/2 ml of Chocolate Devil's Food Cake flavor oil
- Pinch of Sugar (optional)
- Containers for the lip balm
- Weigh the beeswax and cocoa butter. A food scale will work. Then place the mixture in a glass Pyrex measuring cup. Next, heat the two ingredients in the microwave until half melted.
- Now weigh out the shea butter and add this to the half-melted mixture. Continue cooking until it is melted.
- Using a mitten, remove the cup from the microwave.
- Add a pinch of sugar if desired and stir well.
- Weigh out and add the coffee-infused olive oil to the mixture and blend to combine thoroughly.
- Add the ten drops of clove essential oil and each of the 1/2 ml of Kahlua and Devil's Cake flavored oils and mix well.
- Once thoroughly mixed, you are now ready to slowly pour the lip balm mixture into your containers of choice and let it cool.
- Once completely cooled and solidified, you can add your lid, and you are ready to go!
Coffee Body Lotion RecipeIngredients:
- 1/2 cup of emulsifying wax
- 1/2 cup almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil, OR sunflower oil.
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1 1/2 cups of hot coffee
- Vitamin E capsules
- In a double bath, melt together the emulsifying wax, cocoa butter, and oil of your choice. (Tip: do not let it boil)
- Now, brew your coffee. After the beeswax, butter, and oil mixture is melted, add 1 1/2 cups of hot coffee. (Tip: both liquids need to be hot)
- The mixture cools down to ensure you stir it (about every 5 mins) so that the coffee doesn't separate from the rest of the mix and pool at the bottom. Add Vitamin E when the mixture is thick and almost solid. Just squeeze the capsule, and the Vitamin E will be expelled.
- Stir the vitamin E in well with a spoon, and it is now ready to enjoy!
- Once used, keep it in the fridge.
Coffee Coconut Body Scrub Recipe
- 1/2 cup freshly ground coffee
- 1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Mix the ground coffee, palm sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Now add your coconut oil (if it is solid, gently heat it & then let it return to room temperature, so you don't dissolve the exfoliants in the oil.)
- Once mixed, store your fresh scrub in an airtight container.
About the Author
Visit our free recipes blog for more information on making your own skincare products or cosmetics.
Article Contributed by Danielle Winters
Organic Natural Beauty Directory Founder
Thank you to Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.org for this information.