Beauty Blending 101
Skin Perfection's DIY Divas, Karen and Tonia, walk you through the necessary steps to prepare your work area and lotion-making tools. Always wear proper attire and maintain a clean workstation. Follow these simple steps to help you stay compliant with good manufacturing practices.
Whether you are a large or small company, adequate sanitation is necessary, or you are just making gifts for friends and family.
How to Sanitize your Work Area
First, wear the proper attire, a lab coat, and a hair net if necessary. Then wash your hands with soap and water. Put on disposable gloves. Now spray your work area with a disinfectant cleaner. Wipe the surface clean and let it air dry. Next, sanitize the tools you need to make your skincare products.
You will need a Pyrex glass measuring cup with a lip, spatula, funnel, and hand-stick blender. Take each item and spray them with a sanitizer. Let air dry.
Now you are ready to start creating your skincare formulations. Below is some additional information on the supplies that you will need.
Tools and Supplies that you will need to make your own skincare:
- Glass container - We prefer a Pyrex glass bowl with a spout.
- Funnel - This makes it easy to pour your formulations into a container.
- Spatula - Used to scrape the product out of containers.
- Hand-held Stick Blender - High-powered hand-held stick blenders are great for thick lotions. You can also use a traditional blender.
- Stainless Steel Spoons - Always come in handy for transferring your product out of your container.
- Sanitizer - There are many commercial sanitizers on the market to choose from. Star San, B-Brite, and C-Brite are some of the more common brands. You can also use rubbing alcohol or Vodka (a natural sanitizer).
- Gloves, lab coat or apron, hair net, and mask - Protective clothing will help keep any contaminants out of your products.
- Scale - To accurately measure your ingredients.
Other items you may want to consider using:
- Preservatives - Keeping your formulas safe should be a top priority. If you plan to store your creations for longer than a few days, you must choose an appropriate preservative. We carry Leucidal Liquid, a natural anti-microbial, to protect your formula in our lotion-making supplies.
- Stainless Steel Pots - Use with formulations starting from scratch.
- Thermometer - Used to control and maintain the temperature of phases in lotion making and other cosmetics.
How to Fill Bottles
Airless bottles are relatively new and very beneficial. Their primary purpose is to keep contaminants and bacteria out. Airless bottles use an airless system and do not use a pump with a long stem. Instead, the accumulator uses a pressure system that lifts the product to the top.
As a result, filling bottles is quick and easy with the right tools. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you fill our airless bottles fast.
Airless bottles are meant to be filled full. The top line located on the lip indicates where the pump will come in contact with the product. If the bottle is not filled up correctly, it may not work. You could also get an air pocket, which may shift and cause the container not to dispense at different times.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure the pump lid is tight.
- Fill past the fill line or where the pump accumulator stem comes in contact with the product.
- Tap out any air bubbles that may have appeared during the filling process.
- Stainless Steel Funnel
- Airless Bottle
Unscrew the lid and place it to the side. Place your stainless steel funnel into the neck of the bottle. Pour in your lotion. That's it. If your formula does not flow smoothly down the spout, you may need to adjust the funnel to get airflow.
You can also gently tap the bottle on a towel placed on a hard surface. This is an excellent trick for thicker creams.
Using a Natural Preservative System
Do you need your handmade products to last longer than a few days? Radish Root Ferment is a revolutionary all-natural preservative system or antimicrobial that can prolong the shelf-life of your skincare.
Radish Root is also beneficial for those who want to avoid traditional synthetic preservatives due to skin sensitivities and allergies. Or wants to label their product as natural and organic.