Natural Chicory Root
What is it? How can it benefit your face? You may already be familiar with chicory root as an herbal supplement. Both the chicory plant's roots and leaves are often taken orally for their medicinal value.
They aid with ailments and symptoms such as loss of appetite, constipation, gallbladder and liver disorders, digestive problems, or rapid heart rate.
Chicory Root's powers don't stop there, though. It's a potent salve for relieving swollen or inflamed skin. In addition, it is an excellent addition to any moisturizer's formula, thanks to its calming and collagen-stimulating powers.
It is high in antioxidants, which can improve immune health when taken orally and help fight off the effects of toxins and free radicals when applied topically.
What Is Chicory Root?
It is recognizable by its bright blue flowers and woody appearance. Chicory (Cichorium Intybus) is a perennial herb. It's grown and cultivated worldwide, originating in the Mediterranean region of Europe, the southeastern United States (especially popular in Louisiana), Southeast Asia, and South Africa.
It's most commonly known as a coffee supplement or substitute. However, as a powerhouse of antioxidants with potent anti-inflammatory properties, chicory root is a "miracle" herb and an unyielding natural plant.
The chicory plant leaves can be used in salads or crushed with the roots to apply a topical poultice. That's why it is an excellent active ingredient for a nourishing facial moisturizer.
Why Is Chicory Root Beneficial for the Face?
Because this root is a natural inflammation reducer containing beta-carotene, it increases collagen production.
Collagen production increases your facial features' elasticity and benefits by filling in lines and wrinkles, plumping and hydrating cheeks, and creating a more youthful look.
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is also an excellent ingredient for counteracting the effects of exposure to toxins. Your face encounters free radicals from pollution in the air every day.
Further, no matter how often you cleanse your face, you still come in contact with these harmful elements.
Using a moisturizer with this ingredient and other protective agents can combat them. As a result, you'll be able to maintain far healthier-looking, softer skin well into your years.
7 Benefits of Chicory Root
- Renews Complexion: Chicory root extract is renowned for its ability to promote skin luminosity and reduce the appearance of dullness. When incorporated into skincare, it aids in revitalizing the complexion, ensuring a brighter and more youthful glow with consistent use.
- Prebiotic Powerhouse: Chicory root is a significant source of inulin, a type of prebiotic fiber. This fiber promotes the growth and activity of beneficial gut bacteria, fostering a healthy gut microbiome, which is essential for digestion and overall health.
Natural Skin Hydration: Chicory root is rich in polysaccharides that help in the skin's natural hydration process. By retaining moisture, it ensures skin remains supple and well-nourished.
- Enhanced Collagen Support: Chicory root extracts are known to boost collagen synthesis, vital for maintaining skin elasticity and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Barrier Strengthening: The prebiotic properties of chicory root help in maintaining the skin's microbiome balance. A balanced microbiome strengthens the skin's barrier, protecting against environmental stressors.
- Skin Detoxification: With its anti-oxidant properties, chicory root defends against free radicals. It aids in neutralizing free radicals, which can help detoxify and protect the skin from daily pollutants and oxidative stress.
- Brightening and Illumination: Chicory root extract can enhance skin's luminosity, promoting a brighter and more radiant complexion and reducing the appearance of dullness and fatigue.
In skincare formulations, chicory root extract can be a game-changer, offering multiple benefits to maintain youthful, radiant, and healthy skin.
Who Should Use Chicory Root?
When taken orally, chicory root is helpful for anyone with digestive problems or who has experienced a loss of appetite due to illness (including cancer). The root is a mild laxative. It can be used as a natural substitute for coffee as it is caffeine-free, or you can add it to coffee to counteract jitteriness from the caffeine content.
Chicory naturally contains inulin. This root is useful for anyone who wants to look and feel younger when used topically. When used in a specially formulated anti-aging moisturizer, it can help you achieve more beautiful, softer, younger-looking skin.
The only people who should not use chicory root to improve their skin's appearance and feel are those rare individuals with allergies to chicory.
So are you looking for an ingredient that helps promote collagen and makes your face touchably soft while filling in fine lines and plumping your cheeks?
If so, then chicory root is right for you. Help your skin stay hydrated and protected against free radicals. Feel the difference that it can make, especially during the winter.
Try our Ageless Moisturizer today, your number one defense against a dry winter complexion.
About the Author
Kari Thomas wrote this article.