5 Recipes For How To Make Your Own Quick DIY Natural Vapor Rub
No matter what time of year or what part of the planet you are on, you are either in Summer or Winter (Spring or Autumn); you and your kids can always get stuck with a cold.
So, seeing as it is around 'that time of year,' I wanted to give you five recipes for how to make your own DIY Vapor-Rub.
Of course, you might be saying, but why make my own when I can grab a jar of Vicks?
Well, the problem is the ingredients that are in it. By making your own, you will benefit from all the right ingredients that your body will love you for. Vicks vapor rub was the "go-to" for my grandmother whenever I got a cold, and I have fond memories of her applying it to my chest, back, and nose.
That's why these alternatives are so significant. The benefits are the same, memory creation, plus they are all-natural. And don't worry, making it up is super simple and pretty quick- you can have it done in a jiffy! So let's get to the recipes, shall we?
I have found three stellar options for you to choose from based on your preferences:
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe #1
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (Use at room temperature, in its liquid state for mixing. I use unrefined organic oil, but if you have refined on hand, don't go out and buy more just for this formulation. Use what you have.)
- 10-15 drops of peppermint, lavender, or rosemary essential oil. [Peppermint Oil is not for children under the ages of 6 years old]
- 5-10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil in its liquid state. Coconut oil melts at 76-78o F.
- Add the drops of your essential oils of choice.
- Blend and let harden in the fridge. It usually takes 45 mins to an hour to set.
Keep out of the eye area, especially when using essential oils like peppermint. Peppermint does have a cooling sensation at first but then burns.
Apply to the chest and neck area. I don't recommend applying to the face.
Please wash your hands after using or mixing essential oils.
If your room temperature is 76 degrees or less, it should stay in a solid state.
Source: Naturally Paula
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe #2
This recipe is suitable for anyone aged three and above. (children and adults)
- 4 Tsp Beeswax
- 3 Tbl Mango, Shea, or Cocoa Butter
- 7 Tbl Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 60 drops (total) of essential oils (See below the directions for a complete list of options)
- Melt beeswax, cocoa, shea, and mango butter. The best method is to use a pot over another pot of water and melt, but you can also use the microwave.
- After the wax and butter melt, turn off the burner and add the remaining ingredients.
- Next, pour into any glass vessel with a lid. This recipe generates six ounces or 3/4 cups and has a shelf life of up to 12 months.
These essential oils are excellent for congestion:
- Tea Tree
- Sweet Orange
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe #3
This recipe is suitable for children two and under:
- 4 Teaspoon Hard Wax such as Beeswax
- 3 Tablespoons Any Butter
- 7 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 30 drops of essential oils
Follow the same guidelines as stated above. Melt the wax and butter, then add any additional ingredients. Pour into a glass vessel.
There you have it- I told you they were super simple to do, and most only take about 10-15 mins to start to finish (if that)!
- Article Contributed by
- Organic Natural Beauty Directory Founder
- Thank you to Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.org for this information.