Top Five Summer Skin Care Tips for Healthy Skin
Just about any change in season can wreak havoc on your skin, but because the summer is associated with the beach, working in the yard, and spending time outside, it’s important to remember to take care of your face in these warm months.
We have five of the best summer skincare tips to make sure you stay as radiant and youthful as possible.
1. Drink plenty of water. The heat doesn’t just dehydrate your body; it can dry your complexion, too. Make sure that you always carry a water bottle and have somewhere you can fill it up regularly.
Just because you’re at the beach playing in the ocean doesn’t mean that your skin or body will stay hydrated. Keep drinking water! One of the tell-tale signs of being dehydrated is that it does not bounce back into place.
Take the back of your hands, pinch a tiny piece of skin between two fingers. What happens? Is your skin pliable? Does it bounce back into place? If not, you may be dehydrated. It is time to begin drinking more water. Each adult needs about 64 ounces of water every day.
If you are in the sun, swimming in the ocean, or exercising, that number requires increasing to about 20 ounces. So get a water jug - not a bottle. Fill it up in the morning and take it with you. By the end of the night, your water bottle should be depleted — a super simple and easy trick.
Remember, if you are not a fan of water, you can add flavoring to make it taste great. However, this does not mean adding sugar, caffeine, or anything artificial! Just grab some fresh fruit and drop it into your jug. Lemons are one of the best and most tasty.
For a minty burst, check out our recipe for a summertime mojito. Strawberries work great too.
2. Avoid smoke, smog, and pollution. This is going to be easy for most people. Summer is the time to get out of the city and take a vacation in the countryside.
However, if you are staying in town or visiting a place where you know there is going to be serious pollution, think twice before booking your flight. Nothing is worse for your complexion than smoke, smog, and pollution.
It is also the leading cause of free radicals. Opt instead for a jaunt into the countryside, where the fresh air will do your body and face well. If you still can’t get away and live in the city, your next best option is to use an Antioxidant Serum.
Look for superfruits such as acai berry, blueberries, melons, and others. You can also supplement your diet with Alpha Lipoic Acid to combat the effects of pollution.
3. Use sunscreen. This is an essential part of your summer skincare! The sunscreen in your makeup is not going to be enough. Before you apply your makeup (and especially if you are not wearing any makeup), apply a high SPF sunscreen that will protect your skin—not just on your face but all over your body.
Remember that sunscreen needs to be reapplied all day long. Every two hours is best. If you are in the water or are exercising you, need to apply more often.
A hat and shade are good, but they are not a replacement for sunscreen. So make sure your skin is protected 15 minutes before you step outside.
4. Eat a healthy diet, and get plenty of antioxidants. It may be tempting to live exclusively on ice cream and Popsicle as hot weather makes it difficult to cook or eat anything warm. Instead of eating lots of junk food, spends a little time preparing fresh fruits and veggies for snacks. Getting plenty of fresh greens and fruits full of antioxidants will help your skin stay looking young.
5. Get plenty of sleep. The sunsets late and rises early, and with so many fun summer activities planned, it feels like a waste of time to rest. But just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you don’t need your beauty rest! Give your skin and body time to recover after a long day of work or play.
About the Author
Kari Thomas wrote this article.